RN - Operating Room (OR)
Kansas City, MO
The Kansas City VA is embarking on a journey of moving beyond performance measure and becoming the Healthcare System Veterans Trust and Choose.
Our patients depend on us and we depend on professionals like you.
If you are interested in being a part of a LEAN organization and putting other's needs before your own this may be the organization for you. Yours might be the first face they see when they come through our doors. Yours might be the voice they hear right after a surprise diagnosis. Yours might be the eyes they look into as they are pushed in a wheelchair to a frightening procedure. Your attitude reflects us and everything we are proud of in this organization. By applying for this position you have chosen to help serve our patients and we appreciate you. With the initiation of cultural change, along with knowledge and tools for change, the Kansas City VA will continue to move towards a practice of continuous improvement. In the endeavor, we recognize that this change will not occur suddenly, that dedicated individuals like yourself will be required, that leadership involvement is necessary, and employee engagement paramount. As a 157 bed medical, surgical, and psychiatric facility, the Kansas City VA provides comprehensive health care through primary care and tertiary care in subspecialty medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation. It is also a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri Kansas City. Take a closer look at Kansas City at www.thinkkc.com. VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
This department consists of seven major OR suites, one minor procedure room and a cystoscopy suite. Procedures performed in the department include general, orthopedic, vascular, thoracic, urology, plastic, ENT, GYN, neurosurgery and podiatry.
Duties of a professional nurse include teaching of health care and the prevention of illness; assessment, nursing diagnosis, nursing care, and counsel; the administration of medications and treatments; the coordination and assistance in the delivery of a plan of health care; and, the teaching of other nursing personnel. The nurse's primary commitment is to the patient, whether an individual, family, group, or community.
Special requirements for this unit include:
- Weekday, weekend, and holiday call
- Ability to both scrub and circulate for RN staff preferred
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education. Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Registration. Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: BSN and clinical experience in the OR.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Learn more and apply at www.vacareers.va.gov or contact:
Nicole L. Skilling - Human Resources
Phone: (816) 861-4700 x53839
Equal Opportunity Employer