The Pilot-in-Command (PIC) is responsible for the safe and efficient conduct of a flight assignment. The pilot-in-command and is authorized by Geisinger Medical Center (GMC) to process a flight assignment received from the Life Flight Communications Center and determines whether to accept or decline a flight assignment based on weather conditions or other factors that may impact the safety of flight. The Pilot-in-command will evaluate Visual Flight Rules (VFR) options upon accepting the flight request. Works collaboratively with other members of the flight program.
Reports to the Chief Pilot.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
Leadership and Professional Development
1. Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation departmental aviation policies.
2. Shares professional responsibility for identification, development and achievement of department goals.
3. Promotes and maintains positive professional working relationships within the department and throughout the health system
4. Demonstrates and promotes effective interpersonal skills.
5. Promotes the safety culture of Life Flight and places safety as a top priority.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Required to meet all the qualifications for a VFR captain set forth in 135.243(C). Additionally: 2000 total flight hours with a minimum of 1500 Helicopter hours, 1000 hours Helicopter Pilot in Command time, 1000 hours of Helicopter Turbine engine time, 500 hours Helicopter Multi-engine and 100 hours of Helicopter Night flight hours required. A minimum of 75 hours of actual or simulated Instrument time at least 50 hours are in actual flight.
2. NVG transition. All pilots will begin employment as a Non-NVG captain. NVG certification will be complete within 180 days of final FAA NVG approval. A minimum of five and a maximum of 10hrs allotted for the NVG transition. Employees hired after FAA NVG approval will be on the 180-day schedule to complete this certification and will be considered on probationary status until NVG certification is successfully completed.
3 Commercial helicopter license with IFR rating preferred.
3. FAA Class II Physical Medical Certificate required.
4. Helicopter EMS experience preferred.
5. Night Vision Goggle (NVG) experience preferred.
6. All Life Flight employees that are directly involved in patient care or the direct transport of a patient are required to have successfully pass N-95 respirator fit testing as a condition of employment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. Ability to operate helicopters and is exposed to non-conventional motion, noise, vibration, chemicals (i.e. jet fumes) and extreme heat or cold.
2. Ability to lift at least 50 pounds using proper body mechanics and bend and carry heavy equipment and assist with carrying and loading patients.
3. Ability to use maintenance stands and ladders to preflight aircraft. Able to refuel aircraft at the GMC and other facilities.
4. Ability to wash aircraft per the program wash schedule
5. Works in a patient care environment on the aircraft and is exposed to possible infectious diseases and chemical toxins.
6. Employee cannot exceed 275lbs in weight in flight gear.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES:
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
One of the nation’s most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. Geisinger is known for its focus on caring and innovative programs including the ProvenCare® best-practice approach to maximize quality, safety and value; ProvenHealth Navigator® advanced medical home; Springboard Health® population health program to improve the health of an entire community; ProvenExperience™ to provide refunds to patients unhappy with their care experience; and Geisinger’s MyCode® Community Health Initiative, the largest healthcare system-based precision health project in the world. With more than 215,000 volunteer participants enrolled, MyCode is conducting extensive research and returning medically actionable results to participants. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.