Under general supervision, assesses, plans, implements and evaluates cost effective educational programs for orientation, in-service education and continuing education for all levels of patient care staff. Participates in activities pertinent to promoting quality patient care and enhances learner's competence to provide quality care for designated hospital/site, service lines/regions. Promotes lifelong learning and demonstrates own commitment to personal and professional goals.
1. Facilitates the education process using principles of education and adult learning in all educational activities.
2. Develops curriculum that reflects organizational philosophy and mission, current nursing and health care trends, and community and societal needs so as to prepare nursing staff for practice in a complex, dynamic, changing, multicultural health care environment.
3. Demonstrates interest in and respect for learners. Develops strategies to meet the unique needs of diverse learners at a variety of learning levels, ranging from novice to expert.
4. Plans, develops and implements centralized and hospital-specific orientation programs for patient care staff members. Monitors and evaluates performance of orientees. Consults with unit management team and staff who are precepting and mentoring employees new to their roles regarding the performance of orientees.
5. Coordinates/provides in-service programs to assist staff to maintain or enhance their competence in fulfilling job responsibilities based on identified needs of patient care personnel and the changing health care environment.
6. Participates in patient/family and community education activities.
7. Plans, develops, implements and evaluates continuing education activities, based on assessment of educational needs. Functions as a nurse planner for the DMC Continuing Education Provider Unit.
8. Collaborates with patient care staff, other departments and organizations in designing and facilitating education activities for staff and patients.
9. Serves as a consultant / resource for troubleshooting unit based issues and / or concerns; may provide consultation / assistance to other departments when requested.
10. Participates in performance improvement and incorporates findings into education programs. Promotes evidence based practice.
11. Demonstrates leadership skills to shape and implement change.
12. Participates in / facilitates hospital-specific and DMC projects and committees.
13. Acts as a role model in building supportive and collaborative work relationships with colleagues, staff, students and faculty members.
14. Role models critical and reflective thinking.
15. Coaches and counsels staff effectively.
16. Creates opportunities for leadership development and professional growth in others
17. Develops, implements and maintains record keeping systems in compliance with provider unit, organizational and external agency requirements.
18. Integrates organizational, provider unit and services lines/regions philosophies objectives and policies into educational activities.
19. Maintains and enhances own professional development through appropriate educational and organizational activities.
20. Demonstrates professionalism in all activities and work relationships.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) required; Masters Degree, preferred.
2. Two to three years of Operating Room nursing experience with demonstrated leadership abilities to include nursing and teaching experience in health care or related field. Experience as preceptor, preferred.
3. BLS and ACLS Instructor preferred.
4. Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of Michigan. Of two degrees, one must be in Nursing.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 1905045366
About DMC Harper University/Hutzel Women's Hospital
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.