Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet(r) organization
Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognizedeach year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
The Service Access Nurse provides services for patients and Program Specialists throughout the DCI access process. Services include record review, addressing barriers, providing emotional support, resource referral, and care coordination. The Service Access Nurse helps establish, promote, and coordinate patient registration, scheduling and record collection for oncology patients referred to the center. The Service Access Nurse acts as a liaison to multidisciplinary and collaborative programs that includes but is not limited to Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Genetics and Radiology. This position will coordinate care between the primary disease group and all appropriate physicians or services. She/he is responsible for ensuring patients receive quality and comprehensive services.
* Demonstrates an ability to independently assess patient needs and navigate all oncology based referrals through the healthcare system ensuring proper appointment coordination
* Demonstrate effective communication skills to converse productively with patients, families, multidisciplinary providers, support staff, and referring providers within the institution and in the community
* Accountable and responsible for access, facilitation, and coordination of a new patient consults
* Assesses patients for psychosocial needs prior to first visit and makes appropriate referrals
* Facilitate appropriate decision-making with providers to ensure that each patient receives comprehensive care and follow-up in the Duke Cancer Institute or with their referring provider
* Develop and maintain knowledge of oncology disease processes in order to serve as clinical point of contact for scheduling and access questions
* Utilize and identify available resources to assist patients with overcoming barriers to receiving appropriate access to care and clinical trials.
* Enhance access to therapeutic clinical trials and optimize communication with patients, families and investigators regarding therapeutic clinical trials. Keep an up to date comprehensive list and be familiar with all available clinical trials within the institution
* Maintain a navigation services database that captures how patients were referred, the types of barriers patients faced, who provided the service and how the multidisciplinary team was informed of the patient's needs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Excellent written, oral and conversational communication skills to effectively work with diverse groups. Ability to analyze, evaluate multiple solutions and solve complex problems using well developed critical & analytical thinking skills. Excellent time management skills needed to prioritize among many competing priorities. Attention to detail needed to operate accurately and effectively. Mastery of Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel, multiple electronic databases and computer based information systems including eIRB, and EPIC. The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description
3 years of nursing experience
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
R.N. licensure and North Carolina State Licensure required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas--an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.